Saturday, November 10, 2012

Yes! Finally done

“Ages” ago I blogged about knitting another blanket for BabyS using a knitting pattern by Garnstudio. Well I started in July and tonight I finally finished it! Wohoo! Though the pattern wasn’t hard to follow and BabyS allowed me a lot of time to knit, the project still had its’ challenges…

When picking up yarn for this pattern I didn’t want the blanket to be just one color. The picture in the pattern was a cute, but monochromatic, baby blue. I didn’t want a baby pink (BabyS is girl) blanket. So I guessed my way to how many balls of Cotton Light yarn I needed with what I had in mind. I wanted the blackberry pattern in the middle to be pink, framed by a light brown border.

Well about two months ago I was about 50 cm into my blanket when I realized I didn’t have enough of the brown color! Having my hands full of BabyS it took me some time to get to a store that sold this particular yarn. I finally found time to visit Tjorven and to my dismay Garnstudio had changed the blend of the Cotton Light yarn - from  a 60% Cotton and 40% Acrylic to a 50/50 blend.

Oh no! What to do now???
- do I put lots of energy into finding the old blend somewhere in the world?
- do I finish off the blanket as is? is 50 cm a usable size blanket?
- do I just knit the rest of the blanket in pink?

I wound up sitting down, did some calculating and found that with the yarn I had, it would be enough if I increased the blackberry pattern in the middle and narrowed the border frame. This way the finished blanket would still be the same size as the pattern I had chosen.

The finished result you ask? Here it is…

IMG_2715
a nice 60x80cm blanket

Hopefully BabyS will like her new blanket when she wakes up tomorrow…

If you want to make blanket like this…

The pattern can be found here
The yarn I used…
InLinkz.com
For my recalculated blanket I used
- 3 balls of brown Cotton Light yarn
- 5 balls of pink Cotton Light yarn
Good luck to ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...